- Recipe type: Dinner
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Servings: 4
Bring this delicious plant-based vegan Shepard Pie recipe to your next holiday party. Our Plant-based Shepard Pie uses lentils and mushrooms in place of meat, and is every bit as good as the original dish! This naturally vegan lentil Shepherd’s Pie is made by baking lentils and vegetables with lots of mouth-watering ingredients.
- 1 cup french-style lentils
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 2 1/2 cups brown mushrooms, halved
- 2 2/3 cups grape tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato puree/paste
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 2 cups baby spinach
- fresh thyme leaves
Polenta Topping Ingredients:
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup polenta
- 2tbsp finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- Cook the lentils in a medium saucepan of boiling water, uncovered, for 12 minutes or until just tender, and drain.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large , deep frying pan over a medium0-high heat. Cook the onion, garlic, and fennel seeds, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until the onion is soft. Add the carrot, mushroom, and tomatoes, then cook covered for 10 minutes, or until the carrot softens. Stir in the puree/paste and cook for another minute. Add the vegetable stock and bring to the boil. Cook, uncovered, for 3 minutes or until thickened slightly. Stir in the lentils and spinach, season to taste. Cover and keep warm.
- Make the polenta topping (see below)
- Preheat the grill on high. Place the lentil mixture in a 2 liter ovenproof dish, spread polenta topping. Grill for 15 minutes or until golden and crisp.
- Serve topped with extra thyme and season to taste.
- Bring the vegetable stock to the boil in a large saucepan.
- Gradually add the polenta and thyme to the stock, stirring constantly. Reduce the heat, cook, for 10 minutes, or until the polenta thickens. Stir in the oil and yeast. Season to taste.
Nutrition Information (per serving)
- Calories: 468
- Carbohydrates: 55
- Fat 16
- Protein: 26g
Recipe By: Elevate Founders, Jillian Salomone and Paul Salomone