“In 10 sessions you’ll feel the difference, in 20 sessions you’ll see a difference, and in 30 sessions you’ll have a whole new body” – Joseph Pilates
You must have heard people raving about Pilates and wondered what it actually is. Today, we will tell you all you need to know about Pilates and how it can be beneficial for you.
Whether you want to have lean muscles, strengthen your core, or are looking for a low-key exercise regime, Pilates is the answer.
You need to be fit and strong, and Pilates can give you that fitness. By the end of this article, you will be as much of a fan of Pilates as we are.
Here is a beginner’s guide to Pilates that will tell you all the basics you need to know.
What is Pilates?
Pilates is one of the fastest growing trends when it comes to fitness. Everyone is trying Pilates – and loving it.
Pilates is a type of exercise that focuses towards your balance development by strengthening your core and flexibility.
Your body’s core needs to be strong as it helps you to stay fit and athletic. Having a strong core also assists you in daily activities like carrying heavy objects, bending down, and reaching for things.
The Benefits of Pilates
There are several benefits associated with Pilates, here are some of them:
- Helps you develop lean and long muscles
- Enhances functional strength and fitness
- Helps relieve back pain and improves posture
- Complements other forms of exercise like strength training or running
- Improves body awareness and balance
- Improves flexibility and mobility
- Improves sports or other physical performances
- Increases core stability and strength
Other than these benefits, Pilates has a great effect on your overall health. Pilates is perfect for you if your job requires you to sit all day. Sitting in the same posture for the entire day, your muscles get stiff. Pilates can help the muscles to relax and de-stress.
Reformer and Mat Pilates
There are two ways that you can do Pilates – on a machine or on a mat. In mat Pilates, you use your own body weight as a form of resistance, while in the machine one; you pull cables using your arms. The goal for both types is the same – strengthening the core.
Here are a few important points that will ensure that your first Pilates lesson is a success:
- Finding a certified instructor – this is the most important thing that you have to focus on. To be an expert in any field, you need to have a strong base. If you learn from a certified and skilled instructor, you will have no trouble finding your way.
- Pilates gear – you are not going running or participating in a cardio session, leave your baggy and comfy t-shirt at home. You need fitted clothes for Pilates.
- Things to bring – there are a few things that you should take to your Pilates session – your mat, a water bottle, and a towel. Also, make sure that you don’t eat a heavy meal before the session.
Enjoy your Pilates session!